As you have already probably heard the province of Emilia Romagna was hit by a 5.9 earthquake. It has definitely scared people because earthquakes are not common in this region. My house is safe to stay in but has quite a lot of damage to what you
would consider the dry wall. Almost every wall has an enormous crack in
it but at least everyone is safe. The castle and duomo have some damage but is not to bad. There have been pretty large aftershocks almost every day, along with many smaller ones. I have come to learn the word "terremoto" very well because everywhere you go people are talking about the earthquake and it's aftershocks. I completely understand their fear. I know several people were sleeping in their cars immediately after the earthquake. I was lucky enough to be in Florence when the big earthquake hit. It was not until this past Friday that I actually felt my first one; it was a strange sensation. First, you hear a big rumble. Then, the ground underneath you shakes. I have felt a couple more aftershocks the past few days now that I know what they are. They scare me a little but not as much as tornadoes!

 |
| this is just an example of the damage. It has gotten worse the past week with all the aftershocks |
 |
| damage to castle |
 |
| damage to castle |
 |
| damage to castle |
 |
| in the piazza |
 |
| The duomo is all blocked off |
No comments:
Post a Comment