Today was my first day at the school.
From the moment I arrived I felt welcomed. All of the other teachers are friendly and enthusiastic. You can tell all the girls love what they are doing and where they work. All of the teachers have come from various places in the US. It is nice being able to speak fluent English with people. What I hope to gain from this experience is knowledge of how this sort of school works and different methods used when teaching English. It is interesting to see how English (my native tongue) is taught verse how I learned Spanish. I have fallen in love with Italy and teaching abroad is something I am seriously considering.
In the morning I went with Gina (school founder) to Santa Croce Elementary school. At the school we worked with two 5 year old groups, helping them prepare for their upcoming recital. Gina is a big fan of teaching kids through song.
In the afternoon I returned to the school and worked with several different groups and teachers. I worked with people anywhere from 5 years-40+. I help when I can during the lessons.
I had a long 9 hour day working but I can honestly say I loved every minute of it. The biggest factor that made my day enjoyable were the employees. I feel like I will take a lot more out of this teaching abroad experience because I am actually involved. I do not feel like the teachers last year were properly explained why I was there and what I was supposed to be doing. I spent most of my time observing regular Italian classes. This was fine but not what I came to do.
I have been having a difficult time sleeping, which is no surprise because I never sleep at home. I suppose it's ok though because I was able to update this blog for you all. I have to start my day in 3 hours :( I will be going with Gina and another teacher to a school that was completely destroyed by the earthquakes last summer. Well, that is all for now.
Buonanotte!
Kristin - you'll do just great in your position. I wish you the best in this adventure! Mark
ReplyDelete